Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Overwhelmed and Under Pressure



Do you ever have days (or years) where you feel like this?  Sometimes it can be hard to even pull yourself out of bed in the mornings because you dread what lies ahead, or you are so overwhelmed that it is exhausting to think about facing another day.  Life is full of challenges and obstacles and we can learn to be more than overcomers, or we can throw a pity party for ourselves and whine about how no one could possibly understand how much we have on our plates.  I know that there are people who are legitimately facing serious circumstances, but probably the majority of us find ourselves to be easily overwhelmed from juggling work, family, commitments, finances, etc.  I am learning that many times I am the one who piles my plate to full.  Of course there are responsibilities that God has entrusted me with, but I can have a very hard time saying "no" to people and things that are not a part of those responsibilities.  When I am not faithful to consult the Lord about what things I should and should not take on, it becomes very easy to get overwhelmed.  I become more concerned about what someone might think of me if I say no than what the Lord has given me to do.  When I pile my plate so full of extra things, I begin to become less and less effective with the responsibilities He has given to me. 

I wonder why we would rather spend our lives worrying and stressed out instead of allowing God to carry those burdens for us?  After all, Jesus asks us in Matthew 6:27 "Who of you by worrying can add a single hour to his life?" and He goes on to command us in Matthew 6:34 "Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself."  I Peter 5:7 says "Cast all your anxiety on Him because He cares for you."  Jesus tells us over and over that He wants us to give those burdens, stresses, worries, etc. to Him.  He cared so much that He gave His life so that you would not have to bear that burden any longer. 

I am in the middle of reading "Crazy Love" by Francis Chan.  This book is amazing and I would highly recommend it.  He begins to deal with stress and worry and how that affects us as Christians. 

"When I am consumed by my problems - stressed out about my life, my family, and my job - I actually convey the belief that I think the circumstances are more important than God's command to always rejoice.  In other words, that I have a "right" to disobey God because of the magnitude of my responsibilities. 

Worry implies that we don't quite trust that God is big enough, powerful enough, or loving enough to take care of what's happening in our lives. 

Stress says that the things we are involved in are important enough to merit our impatience, our lack of grace toward others, or our tight grip of control.

Basically, these two behaviors communicate that it's okay to sin and not trust God because the stuff in my life is somehow exceptional.  Both worry and stress reek of arrogance.  They declare our tendency to forget that we've been forgiven, that our lives here are brief, that we are headed to a place where we won't be lonely, afraid, or hurt ever again, and that in the context of God's strength, our problems are small, indeed."

Arrogance?  I was really taken aback when I read that word.  I have honestly never associated worry and stress with arrogance.  In my oh so humble opinion, I would not consider myself to be an arrogant person.  However, according to this description, I have been very arrogant.  Ouch!  I never want to forget what Jesus has done for me, or communicate that my issues are more important than trusting and obeying God.  But, that is exactly what I do when I allow myself to be consumed with worry and stress. 



The good news is that we don't have to be overwhelmed and consumed by the trials of life.  In John 16:33, Jesus tells us "I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace.  In this world you will have trouble.  But take heart!  I have overcome the world."  Jesus longs to be everything we need....it is all in Him.  He wants to carry your sadness, your burdens, your heartaches, your day to day struggles and your fears so that you will be free to live your life and lead others to Him. 

Go ahead, try Him.  He promises He will NEVER fail you, so what do you have to lose?

No comments:

Post a Comment